Wednesday, May 18, 2005

"Who We Are Instead" pt.4

Life to the Full

We had a bigger turn-out Sunday. That was cool. We had fun, too, since that was the theme. I was a little disorganised, though, because Melissa and I had just got back from a wedding in Whitby that weekend. I thought it went well, though.

A lot of people get the impression that Christianity is a bunch of rules, a bunch of do's and don't's. They think it's no fun to be religious.

Jesus, on the other hand, has this to say:
"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber; but he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the gatekeeper opens; the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers." This figure Jesus used with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them. So Jesus again said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and robbers; but the sheep did not heed them. I am the door; if any one enters by me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep" (John 10:1-11).

What is He saying? He's saying that He didn't come to bring us rules and boredom, but life--abundant life! Jesus offers us peace and joy through His Spirit in our lives!

In verse 10 Jesus says, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy." This is Satan, and that is all that he wants to do with our lives, destroy them, and make us as miserable as possible. Like we talked about last week, the Christian life is a war, a war against this thief, the destroyer of our lives. He promises us happiness, life, and freedom. But his version leads only to pain. Yes, sin can bring momentary pleasure, but it only lasts for a moment, then comes guilt and pain and sadness. It is never fulfilling. Even when Satan offers something that is in and of itself good, when we seek that as the ultimate Good, it leaves us wanting.

In our lives, we search for happiness, joy, peace, and meaning. Many people go through their lives trying to fill a void in their hearts with different things, like sex, alcohol or drugs, parties, popularity, success, money, and many other things. But only Jesus can bring us true fulfilment. Blaise Pascal once remarked that every heart has a God-shaped void, or as St. Augustine put it, "Thou hast made us for Thyself, and restless are our hearts until they find their rest in Thee."

Jesus says, "I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." Jesus never promised us an easy life, but He did promise an abundant life, a full life. I believe that that means in this current life as well as in eternal life with God in Heaven!

Sin blocks us from the Truth, but God has reached out to us through this barrier. When we seek happiness or meaning from a source other than Jesus, it is ultimately temporary and unfulfilling. Jesus says we need to go to Him for fulfilment. God didn't set up the rules to keep us from the fun, but to protect us from harm. It is said that telling the truth is easier, because you don't have to remember what you said. In the same way, in a sense, living a righteous life is easier, because we're saved from the regret and guilt that come from sin. On the other hand, it is the harder road, because the sinful things seem so tempting, so rewarding. This is why we need to stay close to Jesus, our only true source of fulfilment. When we stay close to Him, we'll see all those other things for what they are.

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well" (Matthew 6:33).

When I was in high school, I went to a few parties, and more than once there was a lot of drinking going on. For myself, I don't drink (mainly because I can't stand the taste of alcohol). But a lot of my friends drank, heavily. It was as if they didn't know how to, or couldn't, enjoy themselves when they were sober. I hated those parties, because I would see good people making asses out of themselves, because they were no longer in control. And this was supposed to be "fun". It made me so sad.

God has made us for so much more! St. Paul writes, "And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery; but be filled with the Spirit" (Ephesians 5:18). I think many times people try to have "fun" in order to escape themselves. But through Jesus' Spirit, we know who we are! There is no loathing, no condemnation, but joy! We don't need to go get wasted to have fun, to be happy!

Just a reminder: We're heading down to Wonderland on Saturday. I need to know today that you're going! Post here (with an email address) or email me directly at watchman317ca @yahoo.ca if you're interested in going, so I can email you a permission form. If I don't hear from you by 5, you missed the boat.

God bless you abundantly!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg,

I'm very much enjoying your series "Who We Are Instead." Keep up the good work, pal. You have a gift, a very definite gift.

God bless you,
Christopher J. Freeman

10:16 a.m., May 20, 2005  
Blogger Gregory said...

Thanks Chris. I appreciate the support. I was feeling pretty discouraged about it recently.

God bless.

12:22 p.m., May 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home