Friday, June 17, 2005

Impressed!

"Let no one despise your youth, but set the believers an example in speech and conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. Till I come, attend to the public reading of scripture, to preaching, to teaching." --1 Timothy 4:12-13

Shortly after I began my job at St. Andrew's Church, Father Coughlin, the pastor here, asked if I would start and lead a Bible Study. It's not just for the youth, but for everyone in the parish who is interested. We've been going through the Gospel of John, and last night (Thursday), we studied chapters 14 and 15. I love the group, because it's a mix of people. Last night, for example, there were 8 people out. Three adults plus myself, and four of the kids in the youth group.

Because the kids all sat at the back, one of the ladies present remarked that they weren't actually here to study the Bible, but to goof off. I denied this, saying that she should have more faith in them. As we went on, we had a really good Bible Study, until we ended up in a debate about God causing suffering or merely allowing suffering--and the overarching question of whether suffering is ever God's will. We all agreed that God doesn't cause suffering, but does allow it. The debate was over whether or not suffering could be considered as "God's will" and yet not "caused by God." It was a debate that was fruitless and really went nowhere, because we meant different things by our phrases (as is so often the case).

Anyway, the kids all got frustrated with this display, so all four of them got up and walked out. We felt bad about this, but it prompted the lady who was critical of them initially to remark that if they were serious and mature about this, that they should have stayed and listened, or participated! I tried to correct her, and then we went on with the Bible Study. About five or ten minutes later, the kids all marched back in and sat down. I asked where they had gone, and they said, we went outside and finished the Bible Study questions by ourselves!

I could have cried. I was so proud of them. Rather than goofing off or being disinterested in Scripture, they cared more about what the Bible said than two know-it-alls who wouldn't shut up! (Yes, I'm one of those know-it-alls!)

"Let no one despise your youth." Last night, these four kids showed us real dedication and maturity. They truly did "set the believers an example in speech and conduct, in love, in faith, in purity."

And it turns out, when I was talking to them afterward, that they understood the debate, had definite opinions on it, and just didn't want to get involved. In that regard, they modeled an injunction from Scripture that I would do well to keep in mind myself: "Have nothing to do with stupid, senseless controversies; you know that they breed quarrels" (2 Timothy 2:23).

Lauren, Mel, Joe, and Dez, you guys rock! Never let anyone look down on you because you're young!

God bless!

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay! go us!

3:22 p.m., June 17, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Krissy
Interesting

3:30 p.m., June 17, 2005  
Blogger Eric said...

Hey!
I'm a youth, and I'm fairly attractive. Where's my "props"?

9:55 p.m., June 17, 2005  
Blogger Gregory said...

Um, I'm not sure what "attractive" has to do with anything (and your claim to it is certainly debatable!)--but this was specifically about the youth that were at this Thursday's Bible Study.

And I've given you plenty props! I've mentioned your site repeatedly on this blog--and even got you a reader or two, like Grubb!

1:18 a.m., June 18, 2005  
Blogger Eric said...

I AM THE PENGUIN KING! A BASKET OF ASSASIN PENGUINS IS ON THE WAY TO YOUR DOOR! You will pay for your insolence.

11:05 p.m., June 18, 2005  
Blogger Gregory said...

Uhm....right

1:45 a.m., June 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL Eric!! You DO deserve more props...NOT!! Just kidding...or am I??? Two thumbs up for being confusing!

10:52 p.m., June 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Penguin King and Assasin Penguins? Where is Batman when you need him?

1:43 p.m., June 20, 2005  
Blogger Dave said...

Wha? Suh? My props better have gotten lost in the mail, otherwise I will be somewhat unhappy.

Anyways, as long as I'm here I might as well..uhh..shoot..a blockbuster film..with a budget of only 17 dollars.

My pointing finger hurts.

~Dave~

10:49 p.m., June 21, 2005  
Blogger Gregory said...

Dave,
Riiiight....You do that.

1:57 a.m., June 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEYYY!!! YAY!! go us!! hehehe o man.. fun times at bible studyy.. i'll miss you this week tho.. merhh lol.. but HAVE A BLAST!!!!! xoxo*meL

10:48 p.m., June 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home