Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Hope

Romans 1:1-5
So then, now that we have been justified by faith, we are at peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ; it is through Him, by faith, that we have been admitted into God's favour in which we are living, and look forward exultantly to God's glory. Not only that; let us exult, too, in our hardships, understanding hardship develops perseverance, and perseverance develops a tested character, something that gives us hope, and a hope that will not let us down, because the love of God has been poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit which has been given to us.
A few weeks back, I had one of the crappiest times of my life. Pressures of youth ministry were weighing me down. I was simultaneously dealing with two separate issues within the youth group, as well as just trying to run it, and just as I had to do something that was unconscionably hard, but necessary and right, I found out that a dear friend of mine had departed from the faith! I was weighed down by all the evil in our society and in the world, and really quite depressed.

I was listening to a cd by Jars of Clay, titled If I left the Zoo, and track 7, "Hand", really reflected how I was feeling, but then, at the same time, reminded me that through it all, God gives us hope to carry on:
Hand
Jars of Clay

I'm here waiting for something new to break my heart
So callous laden, I can't feel a thing at all
So will You catch my fall?

From lost and not found, to run and not hide
My hand inside... (Your hand)

Fear is keeping time with the beating of my heart
Doin' way too much thinkin'
And it's tearing me apart
But I, I feel You reach for me

From lost and not found, to run and not hide
My hand inside... (Your hand)
Losing my grip falling so far
My hand inside Your hand

I hear Your voice and follow
So hard to believe, and still I go
Still I go...

From lost and not found, to run and not hide
My hand inside... (Your hand)
Losing my grip falling so far
My hand inside Your hand
It was the second verse that really impacted me, and reminded me that truly, when life gets to its darkest, and throws everything it can muster to knock you down, that God is still reaching out to us, to take us by our hand and lead us on. It's not our strength that carries us through, but His, and even when we feel our hand, our faith, our hope, slipping, Jesus is still holding on, as tight as ever.

So no matter what is getting you down, hold on.
Jesus gives us Hope, and that hope doesn't let us down, because it's Him, and not us, that is the guarantee!

God bless.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Outstanding work Gregory. Keep up the good work!

You are such a terrefic Catholic Apologist.

9:40 p.m., July 10, 2006  
Blogger Gregory said...

Aw, well shucks! Thanks!

I assume it was you who gave me the trackback?

I really appreciate that! Sometimes I wonder if anyone ever reads this!

Really, thanks!

I'm all warm and tingly now!

LOL!

God bless!

4:34 p.m., July 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home