Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Youth N Scripture

This post is a talk that one of the kids in the St. Andrew's Youth Ministry, Dez Nacario, gave last night at the Charismatic prayer group that focused on youth. It rocked out loud, so I wanted to put it up here. Dez, you're my hero!

When I was first asked to talk at this meeting I thought, "Oh, that's cool. I can just throw something together and talk," but then I realized "Youth and Scripture? That's such a huge topic! What am I supposed to talk about?" So I prayed about it, asking God what it was that He wanted me to teach. What was it that He wanted me to say? This passage came to mind:

"Let no one have contempt for your youth, but set an example for those who believe, in speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity. Until I arrive, attend to the reading, exhortation, and teaching." (1 Timothy 4:12-13)

Reading and reflecting on this passage made me think that the majority of youth today just aren't trying to live for God. It's just not seen as cool. Things like going to church every week, reading the Bible, praying, and putting everything you got into God will make today's youth look at you and say, "Wow, what a dork." Now, that's not our entire youth. Some of our youth hear their calling to follow Christ, and that's wonderful. So, if some of our youth can follow Christ and live to be His disciple, why not the rest of them? But then again, are we getting the opportunity to do this? Are people doing their jobs and setting an example in speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity? Are we living up to the responsibility to attend to the reading, exhortation, and teaching?

The theme for these talks is discipleship, and I think that it has to start with the youth. The point of my talk tonight is youth. Youth getting involved with scripture and the church. Youth knowing what the church and Jesus are really about. Youth learning to be Disciples of Christ.

Youth getting involved in the church is important. A big part of getting youth involved is making sure that we understand our faith. You can't just tell them to believe, they have to understand what they believe. A lot of them will say, "Give me a reason to believe!" Well, how are you supposed to respond to that? Having them read the Bible, even if it's just a little bit of it every week, can help a lot. If they don't show much of an interest--most kids, especially teenagers, won't--maybe reading it with them and then talking about what you read could help. Sit down with them and try to relate some of the scripture to their own lives. Go to mass as a family, that is so important. If they see you skipping out then they'll think that attending mass weekly isn't important. And don't forget to pray. Pray for them and pray with them.

Another great way to get them involved is to get them into a youth group. Now, any of the kids from St. Andrew's youth group know that although the teachings at the meetings can be really lengthy, they're geared for us. They're meant so that we can understand what the church is really about. And they're presented in a fun way, I mean, if the deal is dodge ball or some other activity like paintballing and then a "brief" talk I think that's pretty fair. After an hour and a half or so of throwing a ball around, or shooting your friends, or just running around, I think we can sit and listen to a teaching. And when your youth minister can relate paintballing to our Catholic faith, you've got to admit that that's pretty impressive! With a youth group you can learn about the church and get really involved, and then in turn teach what you've learned. A lot of kids I've met that are involved in youth groups really do have a grasp on their faith. When they understand their faith, they seem to have more of a willingness to just live for God. If we don't understand what we're supposed to believe, then how are we supposed to be enthusiastic about God or the church? Especially in a world where you can lose your way so easily. This generation is plagued by temptation, and we do lose a few people. We have to be taught about God, we have to learn about the church by the right people or we could end up getting the wrong ideas about the church. And when there are displays of youth's faith, it's just one of the most inspiring things to witness. It just makes you feel so alive and full of His love. And it gives you the confidence to stand up and say, "I'm a Christian" for all to hear. I think that the main concern with youth today is not being seen as cool or accepted if they're a Christian, and they have to learn that
'Blessed are they who are persecuted for righteous sake, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.'
Who really cares if other people think that they're cool? Isn't what's important that you're giving it all to God? Isn't the only opinion that really matter's God's? I think this is what youth should be learning. When I look at the world today I think, "If I can deal with you talking about drugs, sex, and beer, then why can't you deal with me talking about something as cool as Jesus Christ?" I think that getting involved while you're still young will help you grow in your faith. We all know that kids can be cruel, so if you can stand up against persecution from kids, who can come up with the most horrid ways to taunt somebody, don't you think you'll be able to handle any type of persecution when you and those giving you a hard time are older just a little bit better?

Youth should be able to turn to Scripture and God when they need help. They should know the power of prayer. They should be able to read the Bible and find comfort and guidance, and understand what it's trying to tell them. For many people my age, religion is lost on them. For any of the youth here tonight, can you honestly say that you turn to God, Scripture, and the Church when you need help? Or even the adults, can you say that you do? That you've taught your children that they can they can lay all their problems down before the Lord, and let Him guide them? Another problem with youth is the majority of us have virtually no patience to speak of. If we pray we expect an answer or solution to just appear immediately. Have we really learned that it's all in God's time? When we pray, do we really take that to heart?

I know that tonight I may have spoken as if I wasn't part of the youth, but I am and I know that I am not a saint. I've just been lucky enough to be raised to know my faith. I've been lucky enough attend a church with not only amazing and insightful priests, but a youth group that is--I will only say this once, or else Greg will never let me live it down--a youth group that is actually pretty cool and rather fun. Unfortunately, not everyone has been offered the same things that I have. I acknowledge that it's now my turn to spread God's word. Now, just because I'm out there trying to teach others about God, doesn't mean that everyone else doesn't have to. Isn't it our responsibility as Christians to go out and spread the Gospel? In fact, I believe Jesus instructed us to do so.
'He said to them, Go into the whole world and proclaim the Gospel to every creature' (Mark 16:15). So, let's spread His Word, not only to the youth, who are the future, but to anyone and everyone. God Bless!"

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dez you did a great job that evening keep up the good work, always say yes to the Lord and let Him use you. Greg keep up the great job leading these kids.

10:09 p.m., July 24, 2006  
Blogger Gregory said...

Thanks very much for your comments, Gabby! Thanks for stopping by!

God bless you abundantly!

2:35 p.m., July 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home